Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mouse Update


It appears Braiden and Noah were looking for the mouse too?? Well, it wasn't in the bookcase.

My life is starting to resemble the movie Mouse Hunt. So, Monday night as we were watching tv, the mouse again made its way from the laundry room into the living room. We chased it back in the kitchen, where it snuck away not to be seen again that night. We put a trap in the laundry room, and lo and behold, yesterday afternoon, we caught one. I thought that was the end of it.

Oh no. All remained quiet until last night, when I was sitting on the couch, under a blanket, watching tv. All of a sudden... I felt something rather large on my upper thigh, crawling up towards my stomach. It took me a split second to realize what it was. After that, I don't think I've ever moved so fast. The mouse was under the blanket, so I grabbed it through the blanket, flung it off my lap, and catapulted up. My poor laptop made it across the room in the commotion as well. (My sister asked me if I screamed, and no, it was silent terror.)

And of course this happens on a night that I am home alone with the boys. Michael was (still is) doing an overnight field exercise. Thankfully he is due back any minute now... So anyway, afterwards I couldn't find the mouse again, but set a trap in the living room, stuffed towels under the boys' doors, took my computer and barricaded myself in our bedroom. :-)

No sign of the mouse since then...

22 comments:

Sennie said...

I am so sorry. That is just horrible. The lizard I chuckled about, and even chasing the mouse, but on your leg!!! Ewww!!!

Saina said...

Thanks for the sympathy!!!! Last night too!!!!

(I called her in total shock :D)

Sirpa said...

Yäks! Tykkään jyrsijöistä mutta lemmikkiversioina kiitos, ei tauteja levittävänä villiversiona. Toivottavasti saatte hiiriperheen häädettyä mahdollisimman pian. Oletteko selvittäneet mistä ne pääsee sisälle?

Saara said...

Kamalaa! Mulle tuli tuskan hiki jo pelkasta lukemisesta. Nama tallaiset jutut tietenkin tapahtuu aina silloin kun on yksin kotona.. Toimiikohan se sellainen plug in hiiren karkoitin?

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

How awful!!!!
I CAN'T even imagine!!!!!! On your leg!??!!!!!!!

I soooo would have been barricaded as well!! I was a month or so ago, in the downstairs bathroom with a towel under the door when there was a bat that had gotten in one of the upstairs windows!
If it had touched me....I think I would have been out cold!
Glad that your Mouse hunter will be with you!

Marsha

Anonymous said...

Holy cow Saina thats SCARY! Yikes! Are you renting, or do you own that house? I would call an exterminator asap!

Sherry said...

EEEK!! I freaked out and made Aaron get out of bed to throw away a dead mouse the cats had brought in. I am not sure what I would've done about a live one. You poor thing!!!

Anonymous said...

Jestas, hiiri peiton alla kipittämässä kinttua pitkin! Missähän sohvan uumenissa se mahtoi olla sitä ennen? Ei ehkä kannata ajatella... Vieläkö tietokoneesi toimii ilmalennon jälkeen?

Minä olen kerran sinkaissut salamana jalkeille viltiltä, jonka päällä makasin ottamassa aurinkoa, kun suuri rupikonna räiskäytti reiteni päälle. YÄK! En tykkää, kun elukat tuppaa liian lähelle.

Anonymous said...

My goodness! Can't believe that a mouse was running on your leg. That is pure horror, EEK!!

Huih, ihan jo sydän tykyttää pelkästä ajatuksesta. Toivottavasti saatte sinne myrkyttäjät pian paikalle!

Milla

Saina said...

Aaaah, thank you everyone for the comments. I felt much more normal after reading these...

Marsha - Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, for realizing the horror I went through. Not that I don't get sympathy from Michael, which I did, but only another woman would completely understand!! :-) Bats, ewwwww!!!! I would've done the same thing!!

Jamie - that's exactly what I wanted to do!! Call Terminix!!! We are renting (we're such nomads at this point, lol, nowhere long enough to buy a house), so I'm planning on calling our landlord today to see if they might be willing to get an exterminator to come.

Sherry - Oh nice, you got a food offering. YUCK! I would have made Michael do the same thing!! We actually caught two more last night, so he had presents waiting for him this morning... What a start to a day.

Sirpi - Kiitos! Ei kiitos meille lemmikkejä eikä villiversioita, puistattaa. Saatiin eilen vihdoin kunnolla tukittua reikä yhden putken ympärille josta ne ilmeisesti tulivat sisälle. Ullakolla niitä kuuluu vielä olevan kyllä... sielläkin on loukkoja nyt laitettu.

Saara - Kiitos sympatiasta!!!! Sennukin mainitsi puhelimessa ne plug-in karkoittajat, en ollut niistä ennemmin edes kuullut. Eilen tehtiin kunnon Home Depot reissu ja otettiin sellaisetkin. Kiitos vinkistä!!

Perheenäiti - Joo, huh, onneksi oli sen verran hyvää tekoa tämä läppäri, ei käynyt sille mitenkään (eikä ollut edes ensimmäinen kerta kun lensi / putosi...). Luulen että se hiiri joko kiipesi sohvan laidalta suoraan reidelleni tai sitten sen viltin mutkista tuli jotenkin. Ja UGH! mikä sammakkotarina!!! En voi sietää sammakoita... Kylmä hiki nousi kun luin kommenttisi! Kamala. Mä en muutenkaan ole ollut paljon eläimien lähellä, en edes lemmikkien, joten olen tosi hermoraunio.

Milla - Toivottavasti... aion soittaa vuokraisännille tänään. Olemme vielä joulun aikana poissa, joten pitäisi pian saada ongelma hoidettua etteivät hiiret valtaa koko taloa!!!

Anonymous said...

Kiitos viela tatakin kautta uudesta osoitteesta! Ihana tuo ylla oleva banneri tai kuva, mika se nyt onkaan nimeltaan! :-)

Hui kamala, mika hiirikokemus!

Jaana

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to tell you after your first posting about a mouse, but....usually if there is ONE mouse there are More MICE! =-(
They must be coming in from somewhere? They don't need a very big space to squeeze through.
Aluminum foil. If there is a small space, like next to a vent pipe(maybe around the dryer vent?) Stuff some tinfoil in the spaces. The mice won't chew through it. They don't like it on their teeth.
(Which I can understand....if you've ever accidentally gotten a piece in your mouth with your food!!)
Get them OUT!
But, glad that your Mighty Mouse hunter Michael is home again!!!!

Marsha

Saina said...

Marsha - Yeah, Michael got some expendable insulation foam, and filled a hole around some pipes in the laundry room. Hadn't thought of aluminum foil, that's good to know!!! I don't think they would chew through the foam, but we'll see... Thanks for the tip!!

Jaana - Kiitos kommentista! Kiva että löysit tänne!

Anonymous said...

Ei voi olla totta!!!Kaikki sympatiat sulle, puistattaa ajatellakin, hrrrr. Olisin varmaan kirkunut kurkku suorana. :-|

Nyt tosiaan järeät hiiripyydykset käyttöön ennen kuin lähdette lomille. Tsemppiä ja onnea hiirijahtiin!

Paula P

Allu said...

Suosittelen Supercat mouse trap, jolla sain meidän terassin hiiren loukkuun. Se veti mua pitkään nenästä ja söi tavallisista pyydyksistä aina juustot, omenat ja muut herkut, muttei jäänyt kiikkiin, mutta Supercat toimi hyvin.

Saina said...

Paula - Kiitos empaattisesta kommentista!!! Varovaisen optimistisesti nyt luulemme, että ongelma on selvitetty! Eilen ei kuulunut enää mitään, ja yölläkään ei saatu mitään enää kiinni. Jee!!! Ehkä nyt pitää alkaa laittaa ruokaa taas, ei ole meinaan huvittanut mennä keittiöön...!

Allu - Kiitti vinkistä! Jos ostamme lisää, niin katsomme kyllä löytyykö näitä!! Saimme ihan hyviä ostettua, mutta ovat niin liipaisin herkkiä että olen saanut säikäytettyä itseni jo monta kertaa niitä asetellessa, lol.

Anonymous said...

Oi miten ihana uusi ilme teidän blogilla ( osoitteen lisäksi:)! Mutta miten inhottavia hiirijuttuja!!! Meillä kanssa ( vanha talo ) tuppaa hiiriä syksyisin sisään. Onneksi pari kissaa pitää suurimmasta osasta hiiriä huolen, mutta niin vain kerran jouduin katselemaan viiksiniekkaa silmästä silmään, kun oli ruokailemassa meidän roskiskaapissa. Ja minä KYLLÄ huusin!!!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a horror movie! On your leg? I would have died!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Saina! I would have absolutely lost my mind if a live mouse crawled up my leg. Charlie found a long dead one in the basement storage room not long after Anya was born and I absolutely freaked. I hope there haven't been any repeat visitors.

I love the new look of your blog. The graphic on top is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Voi inhotus!!! Kylmät väreet pitkin kehoa ihan vaan lukiessa selostustasi. YÄK. Koita olla rohkea ja reipas edelleen! t Jutta

Anonymous said...

Hui! Meilläkin oli mökillä tässä parisen vuotta sitten yllättäen hiiriä - en tajua mistä ne olivat tulleet sisälle, ei ole moista tapahtunut minun elinaikanani ja kyseinen "mökkihän" on siis vanha kotitaloni. Yksi niistä juoksi verkkarin lahkeesta sisälle kun niitä eteisessä jahtasin, joten voin jotenkin aavistaa miltä sinusta tuntui huomata se otus jalallasi :-)

Mekin hankimme sitten semmoisen elektronisen hiirenkarkoittimen (ja tukimme ainoa mahdollisen keksimämme sisääntuloreitin) eikä sen koomin ole hiiriä näkynyt... Onnea metsästykseen!

- Heli

Saina said...

Bess - I just about did! I was shaking so bad!! And called my sister all panicky. :-)

Lauren - Thanks! The graphic is all Michael. We just had fun playing with blocks! A dead mouse?! That's possibly even more freaky, and a long one at that?! Ewwww. Hope it wasn't a rat!!

Minna - Kiitos!! Ugh, aika yllätyksen sinäkin löysit...! Nyt ollaan hiiristä vapaita, jee!! Minäkin uskallan jo mennä pyykkihuoneeseen. :-)

Jutta - Onneksi on toi mies nyt kotona, heh. Nyt onneksi ei ole ollut mitään rapinaa meillä enää, HUH!

Heli - AGGGHHHH!!!!!! Melkein kiljuin lukiessani, lahkeen alla olisi ollut niin paljon pahempi!!! Inhotus!! Onneksi ei ole ollut sen jälkeen...